

Elijah was running around and playing basketball with his toy orange when he somehow fell on the entertainment center and got a cut on his face. I picked him up and he stopped crying pretty quick, so when I saw the blood all over my shirt I wasn't too worried, I figured he just bumped his lip. When I looked, he had a pretty deep cut about an inch and a half wide right under his lip. I changed his diaper and thought about changing his shirt since it was covered in blood, but figured it was pointless to change it before going to the doctor. He cut his lip at around 7:10, and we got to the ER a little after 7:30. His cut still didn't seem to both him, and the bleeding slowed down. When we got to the hospital, we were taken back to a room right away. Elijah didn't like anyone touching his face, and would cry when anyone got close. He had to lay down on the bed while they put a bright light on his face to get a better look. He was pretty scared and cried and tried to get up. They gave me something to numb his lip on some gauze, and at first Elijah let me hold it on his face. After a while he got tired of it, and I had to fight him to keep the gauze on his cut. He would talk to me non-stop any time it was just him and I in the room, but the second the doctor or a nurse walked in, he would stop and just stare at them. Once they left, he would start right back up, so his cut really didn't seem to bother him too much.
When it was finally time to stitch him up, they wrapped him up tight in a blanket, and then had a nurse hold down his head and another his feet. I had to hold down his mid-section, which was hard because he kept looking at me when he screamed. He started screaming as soon as the Doctor started injecting the lidocaine under his lip. He was a little better while they let it get numbed up because the nurses and doctor walked away from him for a minute, but as soon as it came time to hold him down, he started up again. He screamed and thrashed around the second the doctor started the stitches, and continued for the entire 15 minutes it took to stitch him up. The second that I picked him up he stopped crying, and by the time we left he was even talking to the nurses and doctor. He kept sucking on his stitches, so we'll see how much he plays with them when the lidocaine wears off.
We got home around 8:50, and I gave Elijah a bath and some tylenol and put him straight to bed. He slept pretty good, only waking up once to get some more tylenol, so hopefully this will be a quick and easy recovery.
If I never have to do that again, I will be extremely happy-holding down your screaming child while some stranger puts a ugly looking hook through their lip over and over is not a fun experience. I really wish I could've been in another room, but I'm glad I was there to comfort my baby.



No comments:
Post a Comment